Wednesday 27 July 2011

Dog - Rabbit

Let the dog see the rabbit.  What on the earth is it with my mindset, why when I see another cyclist ahead who is without lycra and road bike do I get the bit between my teeth and start to stalk.  Seriously I focus on nothing else other than the rider at 50 to 100 yards ahead.  My body position changes, my shoulders move inwards, my cadence gradually increases, I may even add a gear on and push a little harder.  And it's measured, incredibly measured.  There is no unseemly rush or sprint, it's a gradual gentle stealth approach but the acceleration is there, quiet, gradual and sustainable.  I want that rider's scalp.  Fortunately for me this morning the prey animal turned off to the left before I snuck into their wheel.  I say fortunately because I was definitely feeling yesterday's brave towing effort in my glutes, in my thighs, in my knees, in my lungs ... need I go on. 

It's a good feeling though, the reminder that yesterday I really put something into it.  Because that feeling alone tells me that this is a future gain, the effort of yesterday will reap its fitness reward in days to come.  I hope.  Does it work like that?  I don't know, but I sure as hell am enjoying fooling myself into believing it.

I was overtaken 6 times on my journey to work this morning.  Hopelessly left behind, feeling like the mature lady I am as the lycra clad men, and one bearded guy on a similar straight handlebars number to my own cruised on by.  I felt old, unfit and frankly a little despondent.  Will I ever be able to effortlessly ride at that pace?  How do people get to that point?  Is the bike important?  Is it truly, all about the bike?

No comments:

Post a Comment