Monday 23 July 2012

Feeling Groovy

It's truly been all about the bike for the last few days.  Like buses they come in threes.  It all started with a Saturday plan to hit the trail centre with the mountain bike.  Then there was a promising weather forecast and a leaning towards the idea of getting out on the Friday night and camping.  Which was a blinding plan.  Somehow I decided to tack onto the front end of the weekend a Thursday night ride too, feeling kind of somehow unexercised and lethargic. 

Thursday night though I took out the hybrid on the uncomplicated muddy off road trails near to home, and after a bit of planning found a loop which was so much fun I did it twice.  The hybrid tackled it all with a curiously elegant ease, having larger wheels and somehow a far more reliable gear set up than the MTB.  Covered in mud, the hybrid looked oddly ungainly, being more a sedate road beast of burden with generally no more than the splashes of oil, grease and grime from the tarmac road.  Somehow the ride was right though, and the hybrid stamped its stamp of rightness on the activity, and we fell in love all over again.

The third of the buses related to shopping.  Every girl's favorite activity for sure.  Marshalling the troops in the form of one old boyfriend and one random encounter cyclist, as a group of three we made our way here:

http://www.alfjonescycles.co.uk/

And this pretty much is what I ended up buying:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/2626

It'll be coming home within a week.  I am excited. It is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Sunday was the final day of pedalling, out around Hayfield way.  And I confess I was tired, so tired, the last half hour of the ride I knew my shoulders had dropped, and things which had worked before, such as legs for example were no longer operational.  And by the evening walking uphill was hurting.  I'm not used to consecutive days on the bike, but it has to happen as I have plans, peeps, big plans. As ever.

And here, gratuitously after the best day for British riders in the Tour de France is a photo which brings a smile to my face as Bradley Wiggins feels the joy of the National Anthem ... consider it my celebration.
http://i.imgur.com/hq3nl.jpg

And today is brought to you by Simon and Garfunkel:

"Slow down, you move too fast, you've got to make the morning last
Just kickin' down the cobble-stones, lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy"









No comments:

Post a Comment