Sunday 26 August 2018

Being 50

The benefit of wisdom, eh? Or not.


I've learned to politely decline invitations to wedding receptions with a simple, sorry I won't be able to attend, but let me know about the gift list as I'd love to buy you a present to celebrate the start of a long and happy marriage.

And this works for all the occasions I simply don't want to go to a wedding reception. Because I don't really enjoy all that and think it's really ridiculous that someone would spend money providing for me to have food and drink and stuff when I don't even want to be there.


I've already learned to make the excuse, Oh, recovery time from exercise takes so much longer when you're over 50. Chuckle.


I've learned that I don't want to slow down, I'm not ready to be put out to pasture. I love feeling energised, excited, busy, useful, purposeful, I love the thrill of using my brain until it hurts.


I've learned that I do actually feel like an adult. That's it, an adult, not an old person, not a young person but a bona fide adult. Calm, considered, thoughtful, experienced, with a clarity of mind that's taken a long time coming. But still with the drive to make the world a better place, to help other people, to improve things for my community - with a massive definition of community.


No comments:

Post a Comment