Thursday 31 March 2011

Big plans

Big plans, people, big plans.  I spent last night illicitly poring over OL21, ordnance survey map covering Hebdon Bridge, Todmorden etc.  I am away for a weekend of workshops, but the timetable shows a sneaky Bike Ride opportunity for two hours on the Saturday so I am planning how to get the most out of it.  Most what, though, I ask myself?  Most lung exploding hills, most leg breaking monotonous climbs, most skill stretching single track?  Hmm, haven't a clue, just want to get out and feel my legs and lungs working.

I have reservations regarding the big scary world of the unknown.  Being a bit of a Billy No Mates with respect to a weekend cycling partner I know the safest thing to do would involve a trail centre, waymarked routes, no danger of getting lost and enough bike traffic that if I fall off and land turtle fashion in a ditch there will be someone along shortly to call the ambulance or administer mouth to mouth if I notice they are a bit of a looker and keep my eyes shut long enough.  But trail centres aren't my favourite form of punishment, I like to travel and to explore and to see things.

I realise looking for the most technical terrain is not the way to go if it takes me out on the moors and away from civilisation.  So, the map reveals a nice safe Penine Bridleway, boring but well surfaced wide tracks, probably with traditional speed restrictions such as push chairs and dogs.  Oh well, them's the breaks, and I'll make sure it's a worthwhile exploration regardless of limitations.  Might be a there and back route or a riverside towpath return journey.  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment