Sunday 3 April 2011

First Light

Being away in an amazing part of the country for a weekend of workshops it seemed a shame not to explore the area on the bike.Convinced that somehow I would fit in a sneaky Bike Ride, and inspired by the current 30 days of April challenge to get on your bike each and every day of the month, I committed.  Strapped the bike to the car for the drive to Mankinholes Youth Hostel.

Getting there on Friday night an hour before tea I took my first opportunity to explore the area, a tempting bridlepath beginning just next to the hostel entrance.  I'm a bit of a city girl and still have some of the southerner in me, and generally expect to see bridlepaths as wide and smooth entities.  To my surprise and great delight the path was rocky and gnarly and with a bit of a gradient.  Wicked fun.  Back to the hostel for a shower so cold it brought on an ice cream headache!

The timetable being shared with us, Saturday looked pretty committed.  Breakfast 9am to 10am, workshops 10am to 12pm, with lunch 12pm to 2pm, workshops again 2pm to 4pm and 4:30pm to 6:30 pm with departure for pub grub at 7:30pm.  That was a challenge which required some drink to get my head round.  Saturday morning arrived with a lack of sleep and if I'm honest maybe a smidgeon of a headache.  7am though saw me in lycra with map and helmet at the ready.

I had a plan - stick to very clearly marked not too dangerous looking bridleways, 30 - 40 minutes out and turn round. Simples.  Can't get lost.  It wasn't even 7:15 before I found myself puffing and panting and in the little ring on the mountain bike up a gnarly trail on a deserted foggy hillside.  The incline became shallower and the views opened up.  I took off my gloves and my coat and was down to a baselayer.  Five minutes later at the crest of the hill in cloud, jacket on and raincover on the rucksack.  I'd never been on the mountain bike so early in the morning and a more fantastic start to the day I couldn't imagine.  Best hangover cure ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment