Thursday 21 April 2011

Sitting comfortably?

I've been niggling on about the discomfort of the mountain bike sitting position for a while, and have discussed with ... well, anyone who will listen but without taking an awful lot of action.  Last weekend once again the end of a day on the MTB and once circulation returned to my nether regions I was having issues yet again.  Really predictable as I had done nothing to change my situation since my last moaning attack on this subject.

So, this week I did something about it.  I spoke to yet more people, and as a result, three second hand saddles appeared on my desk as if by miracle for trial, sale or return.  Ball now being in my court, I had to knuckle down and make sure I did the necessary exploration to make sure I got the thing right.  Being mid week this meant to test the things properly I needed to manufacture some MTB rides pretty quickly.  Decision made.  Use the MTB to cycle to work - a sense of weirdness in itself.

With relief and allen key the original saddle with all its pain was removed from the bike, and the first trial saddle put in place.  I had chosen of the options I had been given the Selle Italia for first trial based on the simple logic that to me it looked more like the shape of my bum than the others.  Did the home to work journey in, and ouch.  Either I'm lopsided or the saddle is lopsided or it just plain doesn't fit.  Ditched that one with no great ceremony in a lunchtime sneak visit to the work bike store.  Next saddle up was there purely on looks.  It was a thing of beauty, even matched the bike in its whiteness.  The Pro Logo.  Cycled home on it, mmm, not bad.  Cycled to work on it again and home on it again.  Finally, I have the saddle, and yes, I'm sitting comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment