Monday 12 May 2014

Material Girl

My nesting instinct is having to find some balance.  I acquire new stuff, but this means old stuff must go, and consistently for me over the years, I can't bear to throw stuff out.  Useful stuff.  But not to me.   I'm embracing the challenge of working towards moving house, and it's made me really think about how I want to live, and it's made me feel guilty and capitalist.  What right have I to be so acquisitive? I feel guilty about my one person space requirement turning into yearnings for other things, kitchen diners for example.  It seems my nesting urge is leading me into some interesting places.  

When did I ever actually look for a home for me? Never.  I've never sat down and considered me, and me alone and what I want.  I've had rented rooms, rented flats, and I've bought in conjunction with another person, but never looked at what I'd like, just me.  

Turns out I want a kitchen diner. Is that incredibly avaricious of me?  Also turns out I want a garden, doesn't have to be a big one, but I want green stuff in it, not paving stones and not decking.  I want to grow herbs and to sit on the grass and read.

To make this dream happen I'm freecycling once again.  If I can keep getting a couple of items a day out of the loft then maybe by the time I come to sell I won't be carting accumulated crap of years around with me.  Goodbye router, goodbye third sheet sander, goodbye mitre saw, goodbye old vax, goodbye double air bed, goodbye dual action pump, goodbye fisherman's shelter, goodbye campinggaz coolbox that plugs into a cigarette lighter.  Goodbye to these things which haven't seen the light of day in nearly a decade.  And hello.  Hello to my future where I only take me with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment