Thursday 22 May 2014

More, more, more

Give me more, I say.

In our attempts to make the women's after work ride a regular Wednesday spot, two of us committed to the ride yesterday.  This time, I meant business.  This time I took the road bike. Not the cross bike of the high volume knobbly tyres with the flat pedals and the disc brakes but the mincing minnie road bike with its precious skinny wheels and tyres and colour co-ordinated detailing.  I like my road bike.

Speculatively, I thought, Caroline asked me at the start of the ride whether I had any time constraints. Oh, I thought, she's working up to telling me she can only play out for a couple of hours.  Not at all, it turns out, for on confessing that I have nothing to go home for any time soon, it turned out she was gently putting out feelers for my potential for a pub stop.  It was agreed.

Oddly, we did the same ride as last week, and not oddly, we did it faster, it being easier to organise two riders than it is four.  There's less waiting for folk who haven't made it through a green light, there's less waiting for folk who can't filter through traffic or can't descend or can't climb or can't ride a bike (ok that's a bit harsh).  This left plenty of time for the pub stop.  And if it hadn't, that's what lights are for.

It's a lovely part of the world, the Delph and Uppermill.

Arriving here always feels somehow a bit special in a low key way ...

Hartshead Pike

Quite special with a gentle climb in the summer evening sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment