Wednesday 2 March 2016

Not meant.

It wasn't meant to be like this.  I sometimes look at people around me and I want to shake my head sadly and say "sorry, it really wasn't meant to be like this, was it?".  It's a curious double standards thing because I wouldn't dream of thinking like that about me, or even saying it to me as some kind of comfort.  It's not very comforting is it?  Doesn't change a thing, doesn't make events which have happened unhappen, and doesn't make them any better.  Doesn't offer a reason, an explanation or anything.  Maybe it's just one of those things that people say?  Or do they.  Do people say "it wasn't meant to be like this". I know people say "everything happens for a reason", and I think that's bollocks too.

It wasn't meant to be like this acknowledges that the fairy tale you built about how life would be has not come true.  It doesn't mean that there was ever a plan created by you or for you or involving a man in the clouds.  The man in the clouds, I suspect, if such a thing existed would have to take full responsibility for the fact that actually, it was meant to be like this.  That's destiny, everything is pre ordained.

Is the inability to say "it wasn't meant to be like this" an admission that there is something pre ordained and it all went rather horribly wrong?  Or in fact, is it a load of tripe because what's meant to be will be, what has happened has, and we break into song with whatever will be will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment