Sunday 27 May 2012

Cheap Seats

So today was spent mostly in Wales, in the saddle.  A proper good day out in fact.  In the blazing 26 degree sunshine, Viv and I set out in sensible fashion, sunblock everywhere we could reach and some places we couldn't.  Even the bikes were getting it in the end.  2.5 litres of water apiece and we drank nearly the whole lot.

We did the "Over the Top" route from Ride the Clwyds.  With some navigational stop starting we made decent time.  Frankly one of the best days riding I've had.  Viv and I are of a pace, she's quicker descending, and I'm quicker uphill and on the flat ... well, we chat.  And oh my word did we chat, of all manner of things, bikes and bike equipment, brakes and saddles, life and dreams, many a female issue. 

I can't even manage to express the joy of the ride in the sunshine, how I took my trousers off part way through the ride, how Viv handled a combination of trainers and caliper brakes, and we laughed, laughing is so important.  And at the end of the ride there was cake and there was lemonade a la Secret Seven.  And I found myself saying to Viv that with friends like her I could happily bounce along without a man.  And life was oh so good.  Another night I'll struggle to sleep as I try to bring my bouncy brain back down to earth again, suitably subdued for a Monday at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment