Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Gamut

I am made of stern stuff.  She says, frowning and attempting to look somewhat daunting.  Pushed aside the "oh but I really need to buy some calor gas for the weekend after work today" excuse, and simply put the bike lock in the bag.  Because of course bikes can carry calor gas.  And, it turns out a new t-shirt, pair of walking trousers and baggy cycling shorts.  Because I am fed up of having clothes which only fit where they touch and that would be mostly where the belt ensures contact.  I'm a teeny bit pleased with myself for accommodating shopping on the bike and not just opting for the car.

Sunny day and one of those weird journeys where cars have their windows open and you hear snippets of information.  Traffic on the M4, today's going to be a scorcher (this one puzzled me overheard at 6pm).  And because I'd veered across town to hit Go Outdoors up for the calor gas, my route home involved ... Langworthy.

First thing in the morning it's a pleasure to do this route, but in the evening you come to the top of a gentle rise, and into a long flat straight section.  Which would be absolutely fine on a dark evening or a rainy day or an early morning.  But on a sunny afternoon is treacherous.  For it is here that I cannot forget the experience of being water bombed by the locals.  So stealth cycling it is.  Timing the lights so I don't have to stop.  Being hyper aware of what traffic is about and staying nearer to the middle of the road than the kerb.  Because children can surely only throw so far.  Water bombs aren't the only thing the playful little dears have chucked at me along this stretch.  There have been cans, and crisp packets and just general chaos and mayhem, and most of me is screaming I'm old enough to be your mum.  But it makes for a good bike ride with clear focus and drive and determination ...

No comments:

Post a Comment