Tuesday 22 May 2012

With dignity

April saw me try out yet more new people in an effort to shift away from the solo rides.  I am, after all, a social animal, and also, I fall off.  First Aiders have their place.  In my vicinity.  So, I was informed (oh yes, indeed, it was that type of communication) that Colin would pick me up.  Colin.  With the tune of who the fuck is Alice going round my head I mused upon Colin and who he might turn out to be.  Ah, but I had information.  Colin owns an estate car.  Which led to a whole world of more speculation.  Hazy memories of me and the collective Facebook friends suggested something grandfatherly, and insisted the most likely colour of the car would be beige.  I awaited the arrival of the stranger, bike clasped in slightly oily hand.  And there he was.  Complete with unexpected beard.  And thankfully if I'm honest he was a mature kind of a guy.

Staveley bound we were to meet with yet more strangers plus Gill, who I knew and her hubby, who I'd met.  Car Park revealed some fit looking men.  All very well to look at I think but oh my word, I have to cycle with these folk?  Suffice it to say they nailed me into the ground, and were able to take careful position ahead of me on the trail such that they could indeed film the entirety of any fall I made.  Yes, I was slow, yes they were fast, and as usual ... I fell over.

No comments:

Post a Comment