Friday 22 June 2012

Enormous wellbeing

Despite having given my three months notice in, I have to say some days, and in fact more so since giving in notice, I really do love my job.  Love it.  I will  miss some stuff here.

Yesterday took part in a conference call with the providers of the funding and our "Head of Marginal Gains" - which in itself is a very cool job title to have.  We talked athlete profiling and Project Rio.  Which seems even more remote from me than ever since I definitely won't be here in 2016.  The plan was next for me and Mr MG to head off for an "off site" meeting at Manchester Climbing Wall to discuss the way forwards.  What actually happened is that call over we did indeed stop in the office to talk about what next.  At the moment that Mr MG said what we really need is to get the CEO in front of a whiteboard ... the CEO knocks on the door (he's so polite), comes in, picks up the dry wipe pen and off we go with the planning of the next step.  Ended up with a wind surfing chat (well, they did) and off me and MG trundled to Manchester climbing wall for tea, cake, chat and good times climbing.  I love that I work in a place where everyone does stuff outside.  I love that I can stop at traffic lights, feel a bump against my bike back wheel, turn round in order to berate the person and find myself saying hello to our cycling Finance Director instead, and benefit from a shared part of journey home including banter.  I do love my job.

Climbing last night, I was in a lazy old mood.  After running Monday, cycling to work and back Tuesday and walking Wednesday it's not that surprising I guess.  Explained to Mr MG that I was in chilled type mood, and indeed he was wanting to do some routes where he could succeed so between us we agreed a lazy plan.  And because he's a sports scientist he can always find a good rationale for such changes in attitude.  Conditioning.  Apparently doing reasonable volume of easy stuff can be chalked up to Conditioning.  So we mostly conditioned, chatted and put the world to rights.

And today I have agreed to a 2009 van with 40,000 miles on the clock but with air conditioning.
I have also asked the boss what the chances are of Bradley winning the tour. My lips are sealed.

And I leave you with a bit of Blur.

"I feed the pigeons I sometimes feed the sparrows too
it gives me a sense of enormous wellbeing (parklife)
And then I'm happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge
there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it (parklife)"

No comments:

Post a Comment