Tuesday 23 October 2012

Heaven's Door

So, today is a rest day.  If I could even understand what that means.  It started quite well with PJs on until about 9:30.  Who knows what I was dithering doing until that time.  From there on, it got busy with the Fiamma Bike Rack.  Oh my, what a world of bits and pieces.  Why don't manufacturers send these things out a little nearer complete?  There are bits left over.  But then my very competent mechanical husband always used to say "you can tell it's a good job when there's bits left over".  There are a couple of random things which look like they should have somehow been vital to the construction but I still can't quite see how ... anyway, the rack is on and maybe I'll use it, maybe I won't.  Maybe due to the time taken assembling I'll make damn sure I use it.

I've done three days consecutive on the bike and I didn't die.  In fact, I don't feel the faintest bit fatigued today and am wondering just why I elected to declare today a day of rest.  I don't actually think I need it.  Something suggests to me that maybe the days I thought were kind of hardish really weren't. Maybe I am a rider who could begin to absorb 6 hour days perhaps?

Saturday was a road ride around the Peak District.  Five hours around the back roads and a fair amount of ascent and unfortunately me descent.  However, my mountain bike handling skills do seem in some ways to be vaguely serving me well, one almost certain "off" was definitely prevented by some bike memory from the MTB.  Can't corner on either bike though, why is that I wonder ... although every time I do a corner ringing in my ears are the words of my friend Dan - never ever brake unless you are vertical.  Which kind of works for me. I almost hear the rebuke if I even consider trying to brake during a corner.

Sunday was a mountain bike ride, and somehow it didn't seem that long.  When did I become the kind of person who thinks a 4 hour ride is relatively short and easy.  It was blissfully lovely though, riding with a group where rather than being at the back I was actually in the middle.  Even when I'm not at the back though I am really mindful of those who are because I've been there myself almost every ride that I do.  Being mindful of them doesn't mean assuming their feelings are the same as mine are at the back mind you.  I suspect I am in the extremes of reaction to the situation because I get a female feeling of guilt for holding the group up, and I tend to turn myself inside out to try not to be a hindrance.  Not everyone does that, and I envy those who can take a relaxed approach and realise that far from holding the group up they are an integral part of the group and it's not just a case of "nobody minds", it's really a case of that's normality of group riding and nobody even notices let alone actually minds.  Well, possibly only the occasional testosterone driven bloke.

Monday again on the MTB but this time transferring to Ruthin, North Wales.  The Over the Top route from the Ride the Clwyds website.  What a fantastic local council they are to provide these routes which are genuine mountain bike rides, not some sugar coated tow path.  They are fun, not all surfaced wide tracks.  Brilliant.  Hats off and all that.  Funny thing about the Ruthin ride is that the first time I did it, the ride was 5 hours plus.  The timing has gradually improved, partly as a result of actual knowledge of the route and partly less breaks, less walking and generally being a bit more gnarly on the bike.  Under 3 hours these days.  I do believe it's time to add a loop to it ...

Ruthin was in the mist and cloud, and it was a kind of amazing feeling of being isolated in a white landscape with the occasional luminous orange autumnal tree looming at you.  And the occasional sheep.  I always feel high up when I am in the clouds, like nothing could possibly be above me  In heaven perhaps.

Ah, and today we're on Guns & Roses.

"Mama put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore
That cold black cloud is comin' down
Feels like I'm knockin' on heaven's door"

No comments:

Post a Comment