Wednesday 21 November 2012

Here Today

19/11/12

Ah, the Mountain bike and I were reacquainted today and indeed normality ventured towards me again. Possibly that feeling bolstered by the falling off incident indeed. I started at Saint Gervais des Bains, because the ski lift car park was where I'd spent the night in this life of glamour, and made my way to Bionnay along an innocuous road, followed by Bionhassay which was a road described at the bottom in both English and French as narrow, winding and very steep. And the French do not exaggerate these things, not even usually bothering to jot them down indeed. So yes, it was interesting, more so when the occasional car came on by. From Bionhassy I went up past le Fioux and up to Col de Voza, a ski station in the season. I then bimbled up to the Hotel le Prarion with its amazing panoramic view. Then frankly I came back down again. I had intended to go via Champles and down an interesting off road descent but in honesty owing to the snow on the ground, couldn't even begin to detect where the track was. I know, I know, I had a good map, directions, a compass and Garmin and have completed a nav skills course. Still, I felt ill prepared to navigate in unknown territory in the outlying hills of Mont Blanc in the snow. So be it.

Funnily, I don't have an issue with riding in the snow particularly, it's just like mud which gives a little bit more, and of course can cover interesting things too, but it doesn't really flummox me, I've done it before.

Next stop was considering tonight and tomorrow. I'd kind of got my eye on a walk which goes from Servoz, or indeed could go from numerous other locations. Tourist offices being shut for the season in the smaller towns, I ended up in les Houches which is clearly a big ski town in the season. Tourist office man there spoke English with maybe an antipodean accent. Not a trace of French accent. I had got to the point where I felt a shower might be in order, and the thought of warm water after this morning's awakening to ice on the insides of all the van window made me just a little bit euphoric. Tourist office man it seems fobbed me off. We talked about sites which were open and which took camping cars (French terminology that). But after touring three towns and 7 campsites, I finally returned to les Houches which he had already assured me had no Aires de camping cars. The book, however says it does, but it's a E15 cost for the night. I just didn't care by this point and sought out the site. To find it closed but not so that you couldn't get in. So here I am, prepared to pay but sat here for free with free wifi too. How fortuitous is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment