Thursday 29 November 2012

Wonder Stuff

29/11/12

Oh wow, look at me now,
I'm building up my problems to the size of a cow.

How easy would it be home in time for tea,
and stop feeling like a sailboat rocking on the sea.

You know, I've seen a lot of French cows. Close up. They seem somehow bigger than the English ones, and for whatever reason (I am no farmer) there's a lot of bulls. There are also many a museum dedicated to the humble cow. I have driven right on past these. Maybe I should have called in, after all, with a couple of nights sleeping in townie areas, I'm kind of missing falling asleep to the sound of cow bells. It's much more civilised than the wind chimes in nature. As you hear the chimes you picture a cow languidly moving, shifting in its sleep or seeking out where the grass is greener. Nice animals. Nice life. Until it ends abruptly with an abattoir visit of course.

So, the far distance snack sized cows of the Peak District seem some way away right now. In fact, life in England does, and I'm very slightly reluctant to return there, even though returning means it's time to start getting myself ready for the New Zealand trip. And hey, there are visits to good friends and to big sister planned, and I wouldn't abandon those for the world!

It feels a little like going home is returning to address problems. But what problems are those? Are they the size of French cows or of Peak District cows. Or are they, in fact, more like elephants … I say this because today I have been bouldering near to Fontainebleau and came across this little sweetheart. I climbed the other side of it, attempting to adhere to the first rule of rock climbing “don't fall off” by climbing within my grade. Well, to the edge of it anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment