Tuesday 13 November 2012

System Overload

2nd November 2012

Travelling alone I really miss conversation. I miss human interaction. I know this, have always known that I have this need to feel a connection. It's not a new thing, and it's not that I have become rabidly bonkers when I only left friends this morning. It's just something inevitable with me. Don't get me wrong, I am comfortable with my own company in many ways, I can even spend days in silence without radio or music. But I do crave intimacy with the world. Which is what the internet is there for. Stopping me from going insane bonkers I guess.

Actually, it's not just conversation I miss. It is the intimacy, the having a friend or a partner to talk to at the end of the day, not just to tell them what you did, but what you thought, and to know what they thought too, to connect with them. There are multiple people in my life who I have that interaction with. What would this trip be like for two? Apart from cramped of course. Actually, there would be both pluses and minuses. Could I pee in a bucket with a partner on board. Would we trip over each other and the bikes, I suspect so, yes. Would the feeling of freedom and the no need to make a decision until I'm behind the wheel disappear? I don't think it would. I think with someone with similar ability to go with the flow, roll with the punches, it would flow, and in fact, there would be more ideas to choose from, synergy and all that management speak I guess.

Anyway, I have pay as you go internet, which is good. Thank you Orange France, you have added to my trip's feeling of fun. Feeling of fun. Hmm.

Work for years had the philosophy whenever a request was made of us to sit back and say “will this win us a medal?” It gave complete clarity in how to prioritise and how to decide on how far to take things and respond to requests both external and internal. I don't have an equivalent now. Which I find weird. Do I need a sense of purpose in order to make decisions, I wonder. Is purpose needed? Maybe not in everybody's life, and the real question is, is it needed in mine? I've never been goal driven. I'm working on a decision making question, and am getting somewhere near. The question at the moment is something along the lines of “does this have the potential to enhance the likelihood of fun?” It's clunky and it's not quite right. Can't use happiness as you can't tell what's going to make you happy, daft old concept thinking you can, but fun can lead in that direction more likely than not fun things can anyway. Is it fun? Hmm. Maybe …

And no song today because I have been listening to French radio in an attempt to bring my French speaking and more importantly listening up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment