Wednesday 9 January 2013

Innocent Man

I have a very good memory for lyrics. I was in a facebook conversation with a guy from my teenage years chatting over this and that, in fact, me asking him if we could do some collaborative lyrics. Because I think I have some potential at that, although I'm not quite sure. My world view is often a bit different to other people's and hard to relate to, and because Paul is somebody who it would be educational to work with. And because I like him. It's funny, because back in the day when I was in a schooldays band with him (I, believe it or not was sometimes drummer sometimes reserve drummer, mostly reserve drummer), his lyrics spoke to me so clearly that I can still remember them now. I quoted them back at him indeed. Three little words that mean so much, and so little, accepted statement of emotional equality, three little words that mean so much, and so little, they cannot begin to explain what you mean to me, but still I say that I love you … funny, really, on paper they aren't much but with a simple melody and repetition and twists to the story the rhyme and rhythm comes out.

The coach driver today (I have moved from Nelson to Kaikoura) played a Billy Joel album. The lyrics to Innocent Man always resonated with me in the past, and I identified with the male voice of the song. Not so much now, as indeed I felt annoyed with the singer for not moving on, taking charge of their own life and for pursuing a lost cause, and it was weird seeing myself as though from a distance feeling those things. Travel days, eh?

Oddly I find that I'm paddle boarding tomorrow. I will be honest, I don't know what that is ...

No comments:

Post a Comment