Thursday 10 January 2013

The Joy

The Joy

Ooh, haven't done my ten things list for a bit it seems. Too many to write up, too many …

  1. Boots and shoes. Passing through Blenheim (or something like that) on the bus today, the fences the length of three fields of grape vines were full of boots and shoes hanging off them by their laces. You can almost visualise how the collection grew and grew, and imagine some of the stories connected with the footwear. Little pink childrens shoes through to farmers steelies. Wonderful.
  2. Waffle machines. The hostel I stayed at in Nelson had a waffle machine and with the breakfast room quiet this morning I gave it a go. And it overflowed, and sizzling batter went everywhere. English women are not meant to have waffles for breakfast.
  3. Seals. Lots and lots of seals basking on the rocks.
  4. Seaside and mountains. The joy of the two things in such close proximity, with snow visible on the mountain tops but by the beach I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt right through to 9pm at night. It's weird, but I find peace by the sea, a feeling of restful contentment comes over me, and then I look up at the mountains and my chest physically tightens, and if I tried to speak in that moment I just couldn't because the mountains do literally take my breath away and I yearn to be in them.
  5. The cutest Finnish lass in the world is sharing my dorm room. I have maternal instincts. Oh, and it's a girl's dorm tonight which is also a thing of joy because it smells pleasant and nobody is noisy. Boys come in late, kick shoes off all over the place and kind of lumber up bunk bed ladders and piss loudly in en suite bathrooms. Hostels really shouldn't have en suite bathrooms in 6 person dorms.
  6. Bloody Big Bag. Met another woman today with a purple Lowe Alpine bag, although a different model to mine I suspect. It had a front pocket with mesh where mine's solid material. Funny thing is that she got a travel journal out of her handbag and it's identical to the van journal which Shazza completes daily (oh yes she does).
  7. Ups and downs of e-mails, just as real life. Had a long long message from a friend, full of plans and tales of the festive period. Had a short piece of sad family news too. Reminder that real life goes on and yes, I am part of it.
  8. Good quality knickers. Let us thank the knicker goddess for good quality knickers. That would be Elle McPherson then. Seriously, for a six week visit, I've brought with me three pairs of knickers. Well made fast drying pants which fit snugly and just work despite the fact I suspect Bridget Jones would approve of them only for the never having sex again moods. Sometimes I am horrified at myself for the money spent on these, but not now, now they are worth every penny.
  9. Snack size chorizo. Who would have thought it. Perfect one woman sized chorizo. With slightly smutty connurtations.
  10. Paddle Boarding. I don't know what it is, but I'm doing it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment