Sunday 20 January 2013

Miracle Mile

It's still rock and roll to me.

Today, after five days of physical hard graft which has left my body singing, humming and growling like a howling stratocaster (at this point feel free to put on Meat Loaf's Wasted youth lyrics to supplement the Billy Joel song), I have rested.

I think I'm getting better at rest.  Alcohol assisted rest, at any rate.  I woke up thinking bike hire.  But the hostel kitchen is upstairs and even though I kind of know I could have, I felt slightly sorry for my body which seemed to be trying to distance itself from my actions.  So I chilled.

I wandered down to the Queenstown waterfront via a number of cheap tacky souvenir shops (the guys at home have some treats coming their way), where I had long black and dark chocolate with lavender at the local chocolate experts cafe (patagonia).  Then bimbled into the botanic gardens, checking out frisbee golf as I went.  Strolled onto a round the lake cruise of 90 minutes where much chat with Americans and New Zealanders went on in a most mellow fashion.  Then it was back to land for lunch and more coffee.  More strolling, more souvenir hunting (those lucky folk at home), followed by a 3pm stop at a waterside bar for a glass of chardonnay.  Drank this slowly and quietly whilst idly looking at the Remarkables mountain range the other side of the lake and feeling that sense of wonder at the sheer size and impermeability of them, against the fact that only three days ago I had climbed Single cone in the snow.   Yet here I was, shorts and T-shirt, in a very melliow swelter in the sun.  Then of course it was time for ice cream ...

I have grown to love Queenie too.  Once you get beyond the shops it's all lake and mountains.  What is not to like there?  I  have been educated too.  The place was founded in European terms by a guy over from Haverford West (I can never remember if that's one word or two).  It's only industry (only, get that?!) is tourism so it's no wonder it's so geared up to it.  It manages a good turnover both winter and summer with many many adventures on offer.  No, you really couldn't get bored ever if adrenaline or shopping or meandering is  your thing.  I couldn't live here like I could in Kaikoura  but hey, it's beautiful nonetheless.

New Zealand has broken my camera and my sunglasses but as yet, it hasn't broken my spirit or my heart.  Loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment