Monday 7 January 2013

Prove it.

I am proof that women like me exist, and so are a lot of those I met on the trail.  Five days of tramping the Abel Tasman Great Walk complete. 

Unlike the other grown ups I encountered, I did it the hard way.  I carried all my stuff and opted for the personal space of my own tent.  Interesting.  Other proper grown ups had gear shifted for them, or undertook some of the journey by kayak, and others stayed in the huts all the way.  But there was no them and us, and I chatted on consecutive days with Alyson (with a y), the professional cake decorator for Auckland who was there with Pete from Barrow in Furness (now Auckland).  There was the woman doing a mad mother hen thing and loving every single minute of having a group of ten to look after, sons of 19, 22 and 24 with their respective girlfriends and other hanger oners. 

And on my last two days camping on the other side of the world, there was a girl on the site from two miles down the road from my Manchester home.  And why indeed wouldn't there be, because that's how life happens.  I know this because I had a mail from my friend Tavi before Christmas asking me if I would be in the Nelson area on 3rd Jan.  I was due to be in Nelson for just one night, the 3rd Jan, so we met up and she walked with me for the first day of the trail which was just too wonderful for words.  I am this incredibly lucky woman, blessed with friends who I adore.  Tavi is one hell of a woman, different to me but alike.  She can't imagine a life without activity, and she gathers people to her like fir cones on a forest floor.  She was breaking up a business trip to talk glacial retreat with peers to go kayaking in New Zealand.  I feel blessed by the people I have in my life. 

I chose this trail because, honestly, it sounded easy, and indeed it was a gentle amble along the coast line.  Temperatures in the late 20s, bright blue skies, turquoise seas and yellow sandy beaches.  Birds, insects, tree ferns, the full on New Zealand experience, just as I'd always dreamed it. 

And I learned a bit about how to play the Monopoly card game from Sandra from Japan, Ah-kee (that's how it sounded) from China and John from Auckland.  It was the settler for all their disputes along the way.  Would, with hindsight, have been kind of nice to have someone to split the weight of the tent and cooking stuff, but then, is there anyone out there who could stomach the 2 minute noodle and tuna diet I have become queen of ...

trundles off singing I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields ...

No comments:

Post a Comment