Sunday 12 June 2011

Hats off

Friday night I thought I'd make an emergency dash to the allotment between showers.  Parking down my road at weekends is a nightmare, so once you have somewhere to park the car, you don't move it unless you really have to.  So, the bike beckoned.  Shoved a trowel and a few seed packets in the panniers and bunged on a pair of walking trousers with the bottom leg bits zipped off to avoid dangling in chain issues and was on my way.  On my way, but feeling something was not quite normal.  Took a minute or two to realise I'd gone out without the bike helmet on.

Not, it's not against the law to go into the streets bare headed so as it's just a couple of miles I thought I'd go with the flow.  Which is not logical reasoning at all.  Funny thing was that I felt much more aware of and vigilant about what was going on around me, and suspect in some ways its because I could hear everything much more clearly without the helmet, actually had a better sense of direction as to where car engine noises were coming from.  I was much more apprehensive about roundabouts etc..  Now, in my head, I know that this doesn't make sense, I know that on the bike I have to be mindful of my safety at all times, and I know the percentage of accident options available out there means the helmet will only save your life in a teeny percentage of incients.  So, why more mindful because I'm not wearing the helmet?  Danger is danger after all.

It's nice though, feeling the wind in your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment