Monday 20 June 2011

Stopping traffic

Cool.  Not done this for a long time.  Stopped traffic, and not for any wrong reasons (wrong being falling off in front of cars).  Today marks the start of bike to work week.  http://www.bikeweek.org.uk/.  Well, actually I believe yesterday was the official start date but given I only work Monday to Friday today is my official start date.  Despite Saturday's over the handlebars incident I felt cycling in was not just an option but positively desirable, given the clement weather and the need to keep going on the fitness work.

So dressed in pink, off I go on the hybrid bike heavily weighted down by the pannier bag of clothing to change into on arrival at work.  A bit of gravity keeping me on the ground was, methinks, desirable.  The Aldi bright pink women's cycling softshell jacket is a wonderful thing, mostly for its visibility to traffic, and its indication that the rider is female.  I find motorists have a very different attitude towards me wearing this to wearing my mundane grey.  I strongly suspect they give women a bit of a wider berth and perhaps some polite distance and respect, maybe seeing us as more vulnerable and in need of protection.  Whatever the reason, I like the result.

Turns out it's quite a warm morning and at a handy set of red lights I proceed to begin the striptease.  The lights go green and to my amusement the driver next to me is watching me undress as opposed to watching the lights and it's only when I turn to make eye contact with him and gesture in the direction of the lights he continues on his journey.  I finish stripping off the bright pink, and I'm down to the pale pink clinging T with the words "Shakin' my arse" on the back.  Love this T-shirt dearly.  But yes, I stopped traffic.  Me.  At 42.

1 comment: