Wednesday 15 June 2011

Zipping up

I'm in the mood for buying clothes.  After all, my weight has now come down to 62 kilos and my bum has finally reached dimensions I feel are civilised and worthy of new apparel.  The range of women's bike clothing for the non lycra brigade is not encouraging.

I cycle in padded shorts underneath a outer layer which protects my modesty and in winter my calves from the cold.  Outer layers I have worn with some success have been the fat face brand of three quarter length trousers, although each pair only lasts one cycling season.  The short length means no chain capture issues, and the material is relatively well wearing.  The later version had toggles at the waist to adjust so you could get them just right, after all, riding the bike can have you at a peculiar angle compared to walking trousers, and bulky belts are not great.  I find high waisted really useful too, anything that doesn't interfere with breathing when you're using every inch of lung capacity.  The major advantage to these has been the zipped pocket on the leg.  Trousers with convenient places for car keys.  The last pair had zipped front pockets too which opened all kinds of possibilities for carrying loose change and the odd chewy bar.

Finding a replacement has proved difficult.  I have some Asda George supermarket 3/4 length capri pants but they wear out a lot quicker and none of them seems to think having pockets which stuff doesn' fall out of is a priority.  I was aghast to find this year's fat face model didn't have zippy pockets on the legs so the hunt has been on.

Surf / beach shorts were suggested by some women online, but looking at them, the sparsity of pockets was appalling.  Does no-one out there feel a need to keep their car keys somewhere secure?

Crag hoppers looked like offering some possibilities, but again when you look closely they tend to have one zip pocket at the back.  Just where you sit on the saddle.  No thanks, I don't think so.

Don't get me started on cycle specific / mountain biking clothing.  Frankly they just don't make it for girls.  I have one pair of supposedly women's specific shorts and I've never seen anything more badly proportioned.  Oh, and what is it with everything needing to be black or white for us girls.  What's wrong with red or blue or brown or green or indeed patterned.  See what I did there?  Yes, didn't request pink.

Finally in desperation I have purchased online a pair of Columbia walking shorts.  They have a zip pocket on the leg.  Not really sure they'll have the stretch for the cycling movement, but I can but try.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment