Thursday 9 June 2011

No overtaking

Word from the physio yesterday for my journey home yesterday evening was no overtaking.  Condemned to take it easy and to amble home avoiding jolting pains going through my lower back.  No easy task with standing starts from red lights being incredibly different as any pressure going through the left leg gave a jarring pain through that back muscle.  Very ouchy indeed.  No out of saddle, no hard acceleration; instead a sedate and somewhat boring journey.

Of my two routes home from work on the bike, one is a frenetic city centre ride, always on the alert for cars doing unexpected things without signalling.  Do I hear people gasp at the thought that car drivers could ever ever ever do something so imperfect?  Well, yes, they do.  It involves several forced lane changes where I have to move right to the straight on lane or of course turn right by getting across lanes, and this requires me to have good control, to be looking and listening all the time and ready to make a dash for it.  The back isn't permitting making dashes safely and in comfort.  So instead I take the meandering route round the city outskirts, and the most complicated moment is ... well, actually there were no complicated moments.  Eased my bike and my back home where I took the physio's advice of hot bath, hot water bottle, and ad libbed by adding a muscle relaxing glass of red wine all of my own prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment