Friday 27 May 2011

Fuelling strategy

Bearing in mind my attempts to keep weight under control; at the very least to maintain the kilos I'm at, and preferably continue to make a safe and gradual progression towards a slimmer more svelte Alison, I reckon I'm fairly functional at fuelling.  My commuter ride to work is always done on an empty stomach; exercise at early hours makes my stomach feel rough whatever I do, and experience has taught me empty is better than full, and even then every now and then I get stomach cramps on the way to work.

Any other ride though I take a more considered approach to energy levels.  Breakfast is fibre and carbohydrate and not protein and fat, and it is a greater quantity than I might for a sedentary day - you've got to be prepared.  I'm also really good at eating on the trail, chewy bars being a bit of a staple diet, but only a couple of mouthfuls at a time, just enough to keep me ticking over.  Lunch on the trail is also spread out into a little and often.  I know a couple of rolls is going to be about right but wouldn't eat them both at the same time, just keep the input regular and try my best to keep blood sugar levels constant through the day. 

It's just kind of great to have the confidence to know I'm not going to hit a wall, and eating isn't going to make me blow up like a balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment