Saturday 14 May 2011

The Rules

As far as I can see the only rules which apply to me on the bike are those of the highways, and I am, indeed a stickler for these.  I won't cycle on a footpath, only a bridleway or highway or other legitimate route and have a strong tendency to carry OS maps and a compass and check and double check.  I freak out if fellow cyclists try to lead me astray along a footpath and have been known to get off and walk the bike for stretches to deal with this.  Don't get me started on the subject of lighting.  My views on red lights have already been made clear.

Other than that, I refuse to allow peer pressure to dictate whether I'm in lycra or in baggy clothing, and just don't care when folk comment at my mountain bike peak on the helmet when I'm road commuting.  It's all about fashion and just so much garbage.  Provided my clothes are fit for purpose, and for the weather, it's all so much blah blah blah as far as I'm concerned.

This attitude, however, doesn't stop me getting some good old fashioned enjoyment from those defending the tradition and pride of the old school road rider.  Herewith, the rules:  http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/.  These tickle the hell out of me and in those world weary moments you'll often hear the words "rule 5" issue from my gasping mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment