Thursday 5 May 2011

Man Down

I had thoroughly intended cycling to work today but a few days of cycling has taken its toll.  Monday was the 20 mile MTB ride, Tuesday the ride to the theatre and back, and Wednesday ride to work, then to book club and then home.  This morning I looked at the bike in horror as I attempted the ascent of my stairs at home bearing my early morning cup of tea.  I picked up the car keys instead, and with feelings of shame and guilt went about my business.

My drive to work this morning took me along the first 5 miles of my cycling commute route, chosen because it's relatively traffic free on the whole and the main hold ups are the traffic lights.  Picture my dismay at finding myself queued in traffic at 07:50 this morning in a very lengthy chain of cars disappearing into the visible distance.  The queue, however, suddenly began to move and we had achieved a reasonable consistent pace, even if only 20mph much improved on the initial stop start, one car through the lights at a time progress.

As the traffic speed returned to normal I realised what the delay had been for.  There at the side of the road was a white transit van, it's male driver making agitated mobile phone conversation, and a 4X4 with a female driver on the pavement talking to and holding steady a cyclist, still in his helmet but in recovery position and covered in a blanket.  Another cyclist was stood by, and two bikes, one mangled were on the ground.   There was no side road here, just an entrance to a plumbers yard.  I made a judgement on the spot of the likely people at fault and the innocent victims.  So clear in my head, without any facts at all, was I that I was so angry my eyes were full of tears.  Angry that the cyclist had been taken out.  Impressed also that he was clearly talking and impressed that to the assistant had not tried to remove his helmet, leaving that kind of thing for the experts.  The ambulance hadn't even arrived.

There but for the grace of <insert deity of choice> go I.  I cycle that road, straight, wide and without potholes.  That could have been me.

No comments:

Post a Comment