Wednesday 25 May 2011

Girls Talk

Is cycling a feminist issue I wonder.  Mulling over in my over crowded head space some girly issues associated with the bicycle.

Current musing is as a result of a few things - reading an article in the Guardian and reading a snippet or two about Cycletta, and following a clicky link or two.  For convenience, the thought provoking stuff here:

http://www.101wankers.com/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/women-only-cycling-events
http://www.cycletta.co.uk/

There is a lot I don't understand.  I don't understand the woman writing the 101wankers site, where she describes incidents where men have shouted stuff at her or taken other unusual actions while she's on the bike.  Not wanting to follow the recent Ken Clarke comments regarding rape ... I really don't get why she's experiencing these problems, and wonder indeed if it's something she herself is doing, drawing attention to herself in some negative fashion.  I just don't understand because it's something that's never been a teeny weeny part of my cycling experience, and I'm chalking up around 100 miles a month on average so far this year so have reasonable potential exposure to all kinds of situations, city centre cars & pedestrians, drunks etc. I really am putting myself out there.

I also don't understand Cycletta.  I don't know if it's competitive, participation, political lobbying, I don't really understand the purpose.  My experience of mass events attended by women is restricted to the Race for Life events, and I know it's not a social opportunity; you're never going to find a potential riding partner for future in a mass of other people intent on riding their bikes.  I'm a little scared if it is like Race for Life that it'll be totally impossible to make progress, being held behind dawdling participators and forced into an uncomfortable position of over crowding which my bike handling skills are not up to.  If it's more competitive then I'd also be in the wrong place, not owning a suitable bike for such occasions and definitely not having bunch skills.  Added to that I'd be too slow. If it's political then I'd never take part without a clear understanding of what the aim is and what it's standing up for.  Oh, and it's £35 to go out for a bike ride.  That's just stupid. 

For me, cycling fulfils maybe three entirely separate needs.  It can be for fitness when I go out on my own, keeping my own pace and my own company and having complete freedom to do my own thing.  It can be to get from A to B, again at my own pace in my own company and with the option of going for fitness as well as simply making the distance pass as quickly as I reasonably can.  The third need is the one I use it least often for, to fulfil a social need.  Going out with friends on a ride is social not for fitness as you can't really do everything you can on your own in a group, there are other restrictions and you need to focus on the social element or come away from the ride disappointed.  Whichever need, I can be sure Cycletta fulfils none of them.

I am being drawn towards the somewhat disconcerting conclusion that I'm not representative of women.

3 comments:

  1. Even if she is drawing attention to herself, the comments and other gestures she is getting are in no way her fault. Those who are acting that way are choosing to do so, just like they could choose to act like respectable men, instead of animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my gut feel too, same as rape not being anything to do with how people dress etc. etc. It's just I want so badly to find a reason for why trouble come her way, and to make it rational but can't figure it out. I am wondering if she's hyper alert to incidents whereas I'm in a dream world, or equally if she wobbles a lot on the bike and that brings with it trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually chalk such things up to a combination of being hyper aware and having the misfortune of being in a place with a higher concentration of jerks.

    ReplyDelete