Tuesday 10 May 2011

Road kill

Cycling accidents, particularly on the road involving other vehicles and where injury or fatality occurs are emotive.  Where a rider dies then there's an outpouring of feeling from those who feel themselves to be in the brother hood / sister hood of cycling.  A case of there but for the grace of god go I.  I can't, won't and don't compare myself and the cycling I do to the professionals where it's not just a different league, but a whole different activity / sport.  Maybe I just know too much, firstly about how very different a professional cyclist is to me, how for them it's a job, not a hobby, it's not just an obsession to those who make it their career. It's a passion, an obsession, a gift, a talent, dedication, commitment, motivation and full time bloody hard work.  A world apart from my gentle pedaling.  Secondly I know how it feels to have your husband die.

Seeing the cycling world react to the death in service of a rider in the Giro d'Italia yesterday has left me feeling uncomfortable.  The death of a young man in the peak of fitness is a tragedy, a shame and a sadness.  But I wouldn't for one moment intrude on the grieving of those who love him and who will miss him, not just momentarily but for days, weeks and years to come. I wouldn't presume to believe that any empty condolence I can send, or any sympathy I feel will be of any comfort at all to them.  It seems to me that feeling sad at a distance is respectful, but putting twitter expressions out on the world wide web is false and designed simply to draw attention to the sender, not meant to be of true support to those who have suffered this devastating loss.

I am sorry he died, and I am sorry his girlfriend is living through this pain, and sorry their child will never know its father.  It makes me sad but nothing I can say or do will change a thing.

This incident doesn't make me change my cycling habits.  Others are saying stay safe, and they can't bring themselves to go out on their bike.  I'm not a rider in that league or that sport.  I commute, and don't need a death on the road to remind me that there are hazards and I need to look out for my own safety.

3 comments:

  1. Some people get comfort from knowing strangers feel empathy for their pain, and not everyone who sends such messages is doing it to draw attention to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe if they are commenting on twitter rather than sending a message to the bereaved or the team of the bereaved it's more about attention or wanting to be perceived as a thoughtful person. But I'm a cynic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynics of the world, unite. :-) (Actually, I am a recovered cynic.)

    ReplyDelete